Q: RPM/engine issue.

asked by on August 09, 2016

I was at a red light when suddenly the RPMs starting jumping up and down. I started driving and it accelerated but the RMPs kept going crazy, finally the engine shut off. It would not turn back on, but it would turn when trying to start it. That was yesterday, today got it to turn on, and it seemed to ideal just fine, I didn't leave it on long though.

The engine’s computer should be scanned first to see if there are codes pointing to the cause of the RPM problems and the no start.

If the codes are tested and no problems are found then try and disconnect the battery and the engine and body module connections. Then add dielectric grease to each of the connector pins and sockets lightly. Once that’s done, reconnect and secure the connections. This will stop the fretting corrosion that these connections may get causing erratic problems.

You may also have to disconnect the dash and other connectors and do the same throughout the entire vehicle.

I suggest having the car looked at by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who has the tools and capability of properly diagnosing your stalling issue. Best of luck.