Q: Helicoil fell into spark plug well. what do I need to do to get it out. thank you.

I stripped a spark plug and when I was trying to thread it the helicoil went down to the cylinder head. I've already tried a magnet with no success, I just need an explanation of the procedure I need to do. I can't afford a mechanic right now so I have no choice but to do it myself. I'd appreciate the help very much. Thank you

There are only a couple things to try. One way is to use a magnet like you’ve already tried to get into the cylinder. I’m not sure what kind of magnet you used but you may have to use a flexible type of magnet to get into the lower areas of the cylinder in order to get the piece out.

Another way is to use flexible mechanical fingers and a long piece of clean rag with a dab of thick grease on the end. Work the rag into the hole and onto the piston. Then try moving it around to try and get ahold of the piece. Once you do this you should get it out.

If these methods don’t work you will need to blow compressed air into the hole using a long thin air tube and use a rag to catch anything that comes out. If you’re still not able to get it out then the head will need to be removed completely.

If you’re unable to get the piece out and your budget allows some assistance from a mechanic, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and help service your vehicle.

• Helicoil fell into spark plug well. what do I need to do to get it out. thank you.