Q: The car makes ticking sounds while idling

asked by on May 24, 2016

My car makes some weird noises, like ticking sounds. It ticks and pings during idling. Do you have any idea what is causing these sounds?

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The pinging sound can be caused by many different faults. Without more detail about the noise, I will take the best guess I can at this point.

If the vehicle is pinging at idle there is a chance that the wrong octane gasoline is used or a top engine mechanical fault is present. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can run a diagnostic inspection of the engine noise and recommend the best path to repair.