Q: My car is jerking and has reduced engine power

I saw the reduce engine warning sign today. It will jerk about twice and after that it will drive fine.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Your vehicle may have a clogged catalytic converter or muffler. This message displays if the back pressure on the engine is too high.

Start the engine and get something to block the tail pipe. Block the tail pipe and try to hold the item on the pipe. If the engine is working correctly, then the item will not stay against the tail pipe.

If you need assistance with your engine’s performance, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can perform an inspection to determine why the warning light is on.

3. My car is jerking and has reduced engine power