Q: 99 for f150 starts then shuts off immediately

Truck is 4WD Truck starts then stops immediately, have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, connection hoses on fuel tank, faulty injector, vacuum lines, and oil has been change (from injector leaking feul into oil) have also checked fuses. Still not running properly what do I do now?

Hi There, I would suggest checking the idle air control valve to be sure it is not sticking. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer and will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. This is also an important function when starting the motor as it allows the motor to run and idle on it’s own once the motor fires.

You may also want to check the mass air flow sensor to be sure it is not dirty or faulty as this is also a common culprit of this type of problem. The mass air flow sensor monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This sensor relays vital information to the ECM which uses this to make adjustments to fuel supply to the motor. A dirty or faulty sensor can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning.

3. 99 for f150 starts then shuts off immediately