Q: What does the malfunction indicator Warning Light mean?

What does the malfunction indicator Warning Light mean?

The malfunction indicator Warning Light is on your instrument cluster. It illuminates when the On-Board Diagnostics-Second Generation (OBD II) system detects an issue. The OBD II system monitors your vehicle’s emissions. When the malfunction indicator Warning Light is illuminated, it means that the OBD II has noticed that your vehicle is not running as cleanly as it should. If the light is flashing, then the OBD II system has detected a misfire. If the light is solidly illuminated, then the OBD II system has detected an emission control system malfunction.

Tip

Like all warning lights, the malfunction indicator Warning Light will illuminate when the ignition is turned on but the engine is not yet running. You should only be concerned with the malfunction indicator Warning Light if it stays lit after the engine has been turned on.

3. Q: What does the malfunction indicator Warning Light mean?