Q: Advice on what type of service to do on a car before a road trip

"I'd like to take a road trip soon. Should I use synthetic fluid like oil in transmission fluid or use regular fluid? What kind of service should I do before taking a road trip?"

A: My advice is to stick to one type of oil. I...

My advice is to stick to one type of oil. In my old cars, I’ve been using Castrol GTX forever. It’s normal and it’s not synthetic. I’ve never had a problem with it, they don’t burn out oil and they run completely fine. It’s best to stick with what you’ve been using, it’s not a good idea to switch from conventional oil to synthetic oil for example. There are a lot of times when it is going to start leaking oil or start burning oil. Basically, stick to the oil you’ve been using if you are not having any problems.

Another important thing you should check before you hit the road is your tires. See if your tires are cracked and make sure they are full of air. Also, check for cracks in the fan belts and hoses, if so you’ll need replacements. Double check everything to make sure your parts have been maintained correctly.

If the oil is dirty, change it before your trip. You can check the batteries and alternator for free usually at an auto parts store or if through a mechanic. Lastly check if your battery is on it’s last leg, if so get it changed before your trip. These checks should prevent you from getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere.