Q: Oil light on, coolant light on, buzzer, odometer quit working

asked by on September 26, 2016

The dashboard in my van has been showing the coolant light and oil light illuminated. The buzzer came on as well. I had the coolant and oil levels checked and both are at appropriate levels. Ocassionally, the speedometer and the gas gauge quit working. Odometer doesn't work anymore. Other electrical components of the vehicle are still working correctly. What could be the problem?

Hello. I would have the engine oil pressure checked immediately. Having the correct oil level isn’t enough if the engine is unable to maintain sufficient oil pressure. It’s possible the coolant level and oil pressure sensors are faulty, hence the onset of the dashboard lights. It’s possible there is an electrical ground issue or wiring fault for the instrument cluster as a whole. There is one or more fuses to check for the instrument cluster as well. A professional mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can inspect the warning lights for you to identify what the problem(s) really are.