Q: Car won't go in gear only reverse

My friend parked her car it was fine when she went back out to put the car in reverse it made a loud clanking noise then the put it in drive and it sounded like the gears were grinding and kinda like a belt slapping now the car will only go in reverse can you help me what is the problem

Hello. You did not supply a vehicle model or year so I would have to speculate that you have a bad transmission or axle problem. The grinding noise can be internal gears of the transmission or the axle not engaging the transmission. Have a mechanic come and check the transmission and axles to isolate the cause of the noise and advise on the best path for repair.

3. Car won't go in gear only reverse