Q: Car won't go in gear only reverse

My friend parked her car it was fine when she went back out to put the car in reverse it made a loud clanking noise then the put it in drive and it sounded like the gears were grinding and kinda like a belt slapping now the car will only go in reverse can you help me what is the problem

Hello. You did not supply a vehicle model or year so I would have to speculate that you have a bad transmission or axle problem. The grinding noise can be internal gears of the transmission or the axle not engaging the transmission. Have a mechanic come and check the transmission and axles to isolate the cause of the noise and advise on the best path for repair.