Q: jerking when you get up past 45mph and is shutting off

asked by on August 29, 2016

I have a 1997 jeep Cherokee that jerks when you get up past 45mph and just started shutting off while driving. I have tried a new crank sensor and am still having problems.

Hello. If the engine is misfiring and shutting off at this speed, then that can be caused by a number of issues. Most of the time, this is caused by a failing distributor. These are a common problems on this vehicle. I would check the inside of it for oil filter as an internal oil leak can also cause this. Either way, the distributor would need to be replaced.

If that is fine, then it may have an issue with the fuel pump or even the main relay. I have seen these fail and turn the power off to the ignition system at certain speeds. If you are planning on having this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the jerking problem and advise you on the appropriate repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr