Q: The car doesn't shift into first gear while it works fine in reverse

My car doesn't shift into First gear, whereas Reverse works well. It is difficult to shift into gear from Drive, Second and Third gear, whether it is in overdrive or not. It does shift into gear slowly, without jumping, if I rev up the RPM. Then it shifts relatively easy to other gears when it is in first gear. This occurs when I start the car, accelerate and after stopping the car. I have just purchased the car and I don't know much about it. The fluid seems fine.

The problem could be that the internal transmission pump is weak, or the transmission clutch seals are leaking. It sounds like the transmission will need an overhaul.

I recommend having a transmission mechanic test the pressures and diagnose the problems to verify whether you need an overhaul with a new torque convertor.

3. The car doesn't shift into first gear while it works fine in reverse