Q: Engine starts but dies after 3-5 seconds

My automatic isuzu trooper suddenly wont start anymore. This is the first time this happens to me, when i start the engine it cranks longer than the usual, it took atleast 3 seconds before it fully starts but after about 3-5 seconds the engine dies even stepping on the gas. I tried it several times but the same output. I just replaced my battery 2 months ago. The mechanic says the problem is its rail pressure sensor and valve. Just want to confirm it. Your answer is much appreciated.

A: Hi there. This can be caused by a fuel rail...

Hi there. This can be caused by a fuel rail pressure sensor, but most of the time when this code comes up it is because the fuel pump has failed. A fuel pump will fail much more often then this sensor. I usually start by testing the fuel pressure. If there is none then I test to make sure that the pump is getting voltage. If it is then the pump is bad. If there is fuel pressure then I test the sensor to see if it read correctly. If not then it gets replaced. If it does then I check the next most common sensor which is the crankshaft position sensor. If you are planning on having this no start problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.