Q: 2007 Honda Accord VSA light and engine light coming on, will not downshift, must come to stop , shut off and start again. 2007 Honda Accord

When the above problem occurs it will reoccur again several times and repeats during next use. It clears up without any corrective action or adjustment but in a short time will happen again. Car will not downshift, brakes will start normally then firmly. Stop shut it off, restart VSA light off but engine light remains on problem will reoccur. Is this a recall ? If not what's the cure ?

Hi there - you likely have more than one problem at work here. First task is to extract the problem codes which are causing the Check Engine light to come, and the codes (Honda specific) causing the Vehicle Stability Assist warning to come on. These will help guide diagnosis most effectively. The lack of down shifting is often caused by a transmission solenoid sticking - blocking flow of transmission fluid to some portions of the transmissions valve body. Shutting the vehicle off, then back on, resets the solenoid. The VSA issue may be as simple as a wheel speed sensor, but you will need the Honda-specific codes for the VSA system to determine that. I recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. A further VSA problem code scan is also needed to diagnose that issue.

• 2007 Honda Accord VSA light and engine light coming on, will not downshift, must come to stop , shut off and start again. 2007 Honda Accord