Q: Will these tires fit my 2010 Chevrolet Malibu?

I am looking at some 265 65 R17 sized tires - I am wondering if those are too big for a 2010 Malibu. I have 215 55 17s right now.

A: The 265/65 R17 tire is considerably larger ...

The 265/65 R17 tire is considerably larger than the OEM recommended tire size of 215/55 R17. They might be good for a 4x4 look, but not necessarily practical for a Malibu. Clearance within the vehicle's wheel wells will be too tight for suspension travel and turning, considerable rubbing will occur.

Another consideration when using much larger tire sizes is speedometer accuracy. Using larger tires will cause the overall vehicle speed to be higher than what the speedometer will read. The speedometer is calibrated based on gear ratios and tire sizes. For example, if the larger tire size is used, the speedometer may read 60 mph, but the vehicle may actually be traveling closer to 70 mph. Something like a 225/50 R17 might work, but a tire shop will be able to give you the best recommendation on different size options for your vehicle.