Q: Snap-on tools vs. HF and Craftsman tools

Are Snap-on tools really worth it? I just got my first job in a dealership and I wonder if I need professional great tools or is HF or Craftsman good enough?

People have this image about mechanics and a lot of mechanics, if they’ve been there too long, sometime will get snobby and say “I only use Snap-on tools.” I have all kinds of tools. Since I’m a famous mechanic, people are always sending me tools, in hope that I will use them in my videos, to get free advertising. So, I’ve got all kinds of tools and truth be told, most of them, are pretty well made.

I’ve got a lot Gila’s tools, because there’s AutoZone three blocks from my house. They work perfectly fine and they have a life-time warranty. I have some old Craftsman tools and they work perfectly fine. So, as long as they are solid-quality tools--you don’t want to buy the cheapest tools you can get that are made in India or China and are really cheap, as they might break and injure you, but any good-quality tools generally are fine for work like ours. You’ve got a feel for them once you start working a lot, and you can pick up a tool and tell if it is cheap or not, just don’t buy the cheapest ones.

3. Snap-on tools vs. HF and Craftsman tools