Q: My transmission is slipping and the engine is losing power and cutting out - 2009 Jeep Patriot

Transmission slipping and engine cutting out

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Check the transmissions torque converter by performing a stall test. Put the vehicle in an area with nothing in front of it and set the parking brake. Step on the service brake and put the transmission in drive. Step on the gas pedal and see what the RPM gauge reads for 3 to 5 seconds at full throttle.

If the gauge reads less than 2650, then you need to replace the torque converter. If the gauge reads 2650 or more, then check the fluid level and perform a service to the transmission. If the transmission is still slipping, then check the electrical harness and see if there are any issues with the plug. If you cannot find anything wrong, then the transmission may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

If you need assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic professional, who can determine why the engine is losing power and what issues may exist with the transmission.

• My transmission is slipping and the engine is losing power and cutting out - 2009 Jeep Patriot