Q: Transmission won't go into gear - 1997 Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 97 grand am v6. I had done a tranny flush and then a day later the tranny started messing up. You'd have to rev it up to 3500-4500 rpms and it'd kick into gear. I did another flush on it a few days later and now it won't go into gear at all. The grand am still starts. But whenever you put it into any gear, it acts like it's in neutral. I'm using the correct tranny fluid and everything. Thanks for the help!

A: Hi there. Unfortunately, performing a trans...

Hi there. Unfortunately, performing a transmission flush can create more problems for the transmission than it helps, especially with higher mileage. The debris gets stirred up and travels throughout the transmission. A transmission service should involve dropping the transmission pan, cleaning the debris out of the pan and off the magnet (excessive debris would indicate a problem), replacing the filter and gasket, reinstalling the pan, and using the proper fluid. It may be too late for your transmission, given the symptoms you have described.

I recommend having your vehicle’s transmission inspected by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your location and give you an exact answer about the condition of your transmission.