Q: Car knocking after repair

I had repairs done to my car, but then I began to hear a short knocking noise that sounded like a rod knock? Then the noise seemed to be a little louder. A mechanic told me it sounded like a rod in the lower end knocking. Someone else told me it sounded like it was at the top end, like a lifter.

A: Often, when concerns follow recent repairs,...

Often, when concerns follow recent repairs, the most recent repairs must be taken into question first. Knocking engine noise is never a good sign, but not always a death sentence either. If the knock gets louder or faster with engine speed, suspect an internal component. Have a trained mechanic, like the ones here at YourMechanic, help avoid potential damage and come to you for an up close and personal diagnosis for your engine’s knocking problem.