Q: Car turns off while driving

asked by on March 13, 2017

My car keeps cutting off while I'm driving. At first it woul just do it if I idled for too long but now it also doing it on the road and highway. All the lights on the dash and the radio still work but everything else just shuts off. If I try restarting the car right away the engine won't turn over. If i wait long enough then maybe after about 5-20 minutes the car will start again. I'll admit it's in need of an oil change and the oil level keeps going down but I haven't noticed any spots or leakage under the car.couldnt it be leaking somewhere else inside? Another thing there is def a fuel leak in the pipe on the back under where you pump the gas. I took the car to two different mechanics and they both said that the fuel leak didn't matter. Wouldn't it affect the air/fuel mixture tho? Too much oxygen going into the car making it shut off. They said t didn't matter. One of them told me it might be the distributor sigh... bs

You will need to have the engine ignition spark checked to see if there is spark when it stalls and will not start. The most common cause is oil leaking into the distributor and shorting out the igniter and coil inside the distributor. Replace the entire distributor assembly and the cap and rotor along with the sparkplugs and wires. This will fix the stalling and no start. As far as the fuel leaks are concerned you should have them repaired to limit the possible fire hazard.