Q: Can a exhaust leak trigger service engine light

asked by on October 12, 2016

Can an exhaust leak trigger service engine light

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Oxygen Sensor Replacement $108.80 - $895.24 Get a Quote

An exhaust leak can trigger a Check Engine Light due to the fact that depending on the location of the leak, the leak itself is introducing more oxygen into the exhaust gases. As you may know the oxygen sensors which are part of your emissions system read exhaust gases to determine whether or not the appropriate amount of oxygen is present in the exhaust. Based upon this reading, this information is relayed to the car’s ECU which then makes a determination as to whether or not to add more or less fuel to the engine. When too much oxygen is present due to the exhaust leak, this will cause Check Engine Light to come on. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to take a look at your exhaust leak and diagnose the Check Engine Light to determine a solution and repair.