Q: Annoying hissing metallic sound

asked by on May 25, 2016

There is an annoying noise that sounds like it is coming from the wheels. After the car warms up, driving for 5-10 minutes, and when driving over 35mph, the noise increases as speed increases. The noise is like hissing and sounds metallic. The dealership said the rotors were glazed, so they resurfaced them. They had recently already replaced the front brakes. After leaving the dealership and driving to work, the noise is still there; however it has changed to a higher pitch and is fainter. This noise literally bounces off trees or an embankment if I'm in a dense area. Can you tell me what is causing this?

The dealer is correct to say it is the brakes. The noise is mostly due to the material in the brake pads. The metal in the brake pads can cause a scrapping noise, then changes with temperature and will not go away with the pads that were installed.

There may be aftermarket pads on the market that can reduce or eliminate the noise for you. You will have to talk to a local parts store to see what options are on the market for your vehicle.

You can then replace the pads and rotors with the aftermarket ones. The only thing is do not be surprised if they have some noise also, although they may have less noise.