Q: My car steering wheel shakes when I apply brakes. How can I determine if it is the front or rear brake issue?

My car steering wheel shakes when I apply brakes, at all speeds. I understand this might be caused by warped rotors/cylinders. I replaced the ''front'' rotors/brake pads 20,000 miles ago. Rear brake pads (only) were replaced 35,000 miles ago. Is there a way to be sure if it is the front or rear brake issue? what are your thoughts? Thanks.

The rule of thumb is: if you feel it in the steering wheel and the steering shaking back and forth when braking, then the front rotors are warped. If you feel the vibration more in your seat he seat of your pants, then the rears rotors are warped. It’s not out of the question for all four to be warped. If you need to have this repaired, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the steering shake and replace the rotors as necessary.

3. My car steering wheel shakes when I apply brakes. How can I determine if it is the front or rear brake issue?