Q: Proper grease for ground conection on frame/body

asked by on June 05, 2016

I'm restoring a 76 c10 pickup. I'm in the process of putting the wiring back in. As far as the grounds that connect to various places on the body, what can I use to prevent corrosion and promote a good conection? Some people say dielectric grease, some say reg grease, some say slap silicon gasket maker over the bolt and conection. No one has a straight forward answer. My understanding of dielectric grease is that it is non conductive and prevents arching to other parts in the system. example: spark plug boots, & around harness connecters. How would you approach this?

I am one of those people who would recommend the use of dielectric grease. That is what GM tells us to use nowadays inside of connectors to prevent corrosion in the terminals of the connector. It will work well to help with a ground connection on a frame as well.

I would grind the frame to bare metal, put a little dielectric grease on the spot where the ground is, and secure the ground. After that, I would wipe down the excess grease and spray over it with undercoating. Over time the grease can be washed away by the weather. The undercoating will seal it in and keep moisture out which prevents any corrosion.

Should you run into any problems with your harness or electrical connectors, feel free to contact a qualified mechanic who can repair your electrical issues and ensure proper operation of your vehicles components.