Q: What would cause my shifter in my 2008 Dodge Avenger to feel sticky when moving it.

The shifter on my car is not moving as smooth like it usually does. When i shift from park to drive it feels like it is sticky and doesnt move into place as smooth as it once did, its not a super tough budge down to drive but it is a lot more effort than usual. even from drive to park or drive to anything or park to anything it just does not move smoothly. when it is in low or 3rd it feels like it is going to slide up to possibly to drive or neutral on its own. what is wrong and what can i do to fix this problem?

Hi there. Most of the time this will only occur if something was spilled into the shifter at one point in time or another. If a soda was spilled it will get very sticky over time and will cause this to happen. I would typically take the shifter apart to check the moving parts for any build up and clean it as necessary. As long as nothing is broken then it can be cleaned and reinstalled. It is also possible that one of the guides has broke which would then cause you to need a new shifter assembly. If you need to have you shifter looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the shifter is not moving well] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-hard-to-shift-inspection

3. What would cause my shifter in my 2008 Dodge Avenger to feel sticky when moving it.