Glitter like flakes in radiator 2004 v8-4.7l ram 1500 dodge

Q: Glitter like flakes in radiator

asked by on April 20, 2017

My coolant resivor was on minumum so I decided to open my radiator and check inside as I did I noticed glitter like flakes in my coolant in the radiator why is this?

Hi There, Unfortunately, this may be a couple of potential issues. This could be leftover remnants of a stop leak fluid that may have been put in the radiator at some point. Additionally, it may be small particles of potentially broken components somewhere else in the cooling system. You may try pulling a small sample out with a turkey baster and putting it into a coffee filter to take a closer look at it. This may help to better determine what exactly it might be. In addition, to be safe you may want to have a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to perform a cooling system flush to remove any old particles in the cooling system. If this continues after the flush, you will need to diagnose for more involved issues.