Q: Problems with the cooling system

Hello. I'm experiencing some issues with the cooling system in my car. I had the thermostat replaced. The cooling fans cannot turn on as the car doesn't heat up as much as it should. After some time, the hoses get hot to the touch whereas the radiator cap is cold. I haven't noticed that the oil contains coolant. There is coolant in the overflow. However, it seems that while it is cooling, it is not pulling back to the radiator. What do you suggest? I appreciate your help.

Hello. It is possible that your radiator is clogged or is beginning to fail. If the radiator cap isn’t holding the proper pressure this may prevent coolant from being pulled up from the overflow tank. I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete a pressure test of the radiator cap. The technician should also complete an inspection to see if the cooling/radiator fan motor needs to be replaced, if the radiator needs to be replaced, and/or if the radiator hoses need to be replaced. YourMechanic technicians are mobile and can provide this service at your home or office.

3. Problems with the cooling system