Q: My truck won't allow me to change gears even when pressing the clutch. No gears go in at all. Makes it impossible to drive.

I was driving my truck on first gear, I stopped and was about to make a right turn on a corner at a stop sign. I accelerated a lot and my truck started running, but when I tried to change to second gear it didn't allow me to. I turned of the truck and managed to put it in neutral. I pushed it and parked it. I found out that when the truck is off I am able to shift into any gear, including reverse, without stepping on the clutch. When the engine is on I am unable to put it into any gear no matter how deep I step on the clutch. If the truck is off, and I put it into first gear, then turn the truck on it starts walking. Even when I am stepping on the clutch the truck starts moving and pulling itself forward, or backwards(depending on the gear I have it on). The clutch doesn't respond at all. Would it be that the slave cylinder lost pressure? Perhaps the master cylinder? Or would it be something else? I know for a fact that the clutch pedal isn't broken.

A: Hello, this concern is possibly the slave o...

Hello, this concern is possibly the slave or clutch master cylinder failure. These two components use brake fluid to apply pressure for movement of the clutch system. This fluid breaks down in time and causes the seals to fail (leak). A low fluid level would cause this concern as well as internal leakage. Replacement of components would be necessary. This type of concern would need to be inspected. If you’d like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose your vehicle, and possibly replace your clutch master cylinder if need be.