Q: Coolant leak/ loose belt.looks like tensioner is loose. Could it be that just the water pump gasket is bad?

I have a Coolant leak in my car. Hoses seem fine although one was corroded. After flushing the radiator and cleaning the hose I still found dry Coolant spots . Not in and single Area. Seems like the belt is spreading it everywhere. Main areas would be lower radiator hoses and bottom of water pump housing . Could it be that just the gasket is worn on the water pump?

A: Coolant can be leaking from a number of sea...

Coolant can be leaking from a number of seals or gaskets. If it seems to be in the water pump area, odds are the water pump shaft seal is leaking. While it is possible the water pump gasket is leaking, it would not make sense to remove the water pump to replace the gasket, then remount the original water pump (if it is original). If it is original, then it could potentially fail at any time. A certified technician can diagnose the coolant leak and isolate the exact cause.

The belt tensioner is there to do just what the name suggests. Keep the belt tight. A loose serpentine belt can be an indication that a belt tensioner replacement may be necessary. The technician can replace the tensioner and belt (if needed) along with the water pump.