Q: Aisin transmission

Hey, im woundering on buying a s80 V8 thats got quite some miles on it. About 350 000 km. The car itself are great, but im conserned about the tranny in this car. Is this aisin tranny reliable? How long do these work? Seen som problems with flaring when shifting and such at forums, but that seems to be fixed with oil change. Any advice? Only automatic transmission i have been fixing is my 4L80 in my tahoe, i do all my service and fixing myself.

The transmission is reliable and, indeed, I see no transmission related complaints in the NHTSA database for the 2007 Volvo S80. The car overall has a total of only 10 complaints in the NHTSA database which is the smallest number I ever recall seeing for an individual year of any model. It must be a very reliable car (typically you will see anywhere from 50 to 700 or more complaints on car models in the NHTSA database). The performance of the transmission was judged excellent when Consumer Reports conducted their comprehensive testing of the vehicle back in 2007. Service life on automatic transmissions is all over the map (there are no "averages") because maintenance, intensity of use (and abuse) just varies too much. Transmissions have lots of rubber seals and some electronic components. Typically, on that account you can expect to get roughly 250,000 miles out of a transmission if it has not been abused and after that point assume it has to be rebuilt. There are a few transmission related Technical Service Bulletins of interest. S80 models from 2007-2012 might need a newly-designed shift cable damper if there is transmission whine between 50-70 mph. Some units did have bearing noise from the rear gear housing due to a faulty bearing. Most units have TCM software updates and you should definitely install those updates.

A good way to protect yourself in a used car transaction is to request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection. That inspection of the specific vehicle you want to purchase, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you very specific data regarding any current problems that the car has. If you are unable to access any of the NHTSA resources that I have referred to, or desire data of a different type, please do not hesitate for a moment to re-contact YourMechanic and we will assist you further in your attempts to make a wise used vehicle purchase.