Q: Doors won't unlock with remote after grandson played with it

My doors won't unlock with the remote or pushing the button and the remote also doesn't beep when pushing the alarm

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. The usual reason...

Hi, thanks for writing in. The usual reason a key fob begins having a problem lies in the key fob battery. This can happen when someone is pushing the button non-stop for an extended period of time, which is probably what occurred while your grandson was playing with it. Either way, start with a new battery. If that doesn't work, the key fob could be damaged.

If the battery is going dead, there should be an intelligent key warning light on. If not, you can use another key and see if it still works. I'm assuming it is an intelligent key with a push button start because that is what my information system is telling me. If this is the case, I would expect the car won't start as well. If it does have an intelligent key and the car will start, the key is damaged and will most likely need replacing.

Any further diagnosis will require a scanner to be able to watch the data for the intelligent key system. It may require a dealer scanner. As an independent technician having worked at independent shops, I would need to connect the scanner to see what capabilities it has. Your code reader that you find at your local auto parts store will not suffice for this diagnosis. It can only read PCM (powertrain control module) codes and information. It cannot communicate with the BCM (cody control module).

I recommend contacting YourMechanic to see if there is a technician in your area that has the skills and equipment to diagnose your car if you should need assistance.