Q: fuel pump doesnt fit in tank

I have a 2000 chevy s10 pickup, the fuel pump has gone out. My husband changed the gastank several years ago and the tank is from a chevy s10 but not the same year, when a purchased the replacement pump, it doesnt fit! Its too tall, the pump that went out is identical to the new one but is shorter. How do i find out what year the tank is that is in the truck/ ? My husband has passed away so i cant ask him

A: Hello. I can only suggest you transfer the ...

Hello. I can only suggest you transfer the parts from the new pump to the old housing. If the parts look the same, it should work. To get tank size and year you would need to find the part number on the tank, and talk to a dealer or look online to cross the tank part to the correct year of vehicle and fuel pump to use. If you get an aftermarket fuel pump it should be just the pump and not the entire housing. If you need assistance, a certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can visit your home or workplace to replace the fuel pump.