Q: Q: Valve cover leaking on to exhaust manifold gasket can that make it blow white smoke and make CEL flash

My vehicle started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust pipe as I inspected the motor I found my valve cover is leaking a lot of oil onto my exhaust manifold gasket can the oil that's leaking onto that enter my exhaust thro the gasket and make it Blow white smoke and make my check engine light flash. The smoke has no sweet smell there's no oil in my radiator fluid I'm not losing radiator fluid only thing I'm losing is oil and the car seems to run normally but will die and not start for a few min. But after a few minutes the car will start up just fine. When the CEL flashed I parked car an have not run it. Need help thank you for your time.

Hi Donald. Thanks for contacting us today. Although oil leaking on an exhaust manifold can create smoke, it typically does not enter the pipe and blow out the rear exhaust pipe. So, it’s not really likely that the valve cover leak is causing all the smoke. In most cases, while smoke is an indication of either excessive wear on piston rings, valve guides or that there is coolant inside the oil galley. This could be caused by a damaged head gasket, which can replicate oil leaking from a valve cover. You might want to have a professional mechanic complete an onsite inspection to determine what repairs are needed.

3. Q: Valve cover leaking on to exhaust manifold gasket can that make it blow white smoke and make CEL flash