Q: Hatchback goes too high up when opened

I need to lower the final height of my hatchback. Currently when I park under the covered metal awning at my apartment building and open my hatchback, it hits the awning and scratches the paint. I want to be able to open my hatchback so it reaches a lower height and I don't have to hang on to it to keep it from getting scratched. Can I shorten the cables or tether it in some way? I really don't need it to open up so widely.

One way to limit the range of motion in the rear hatch for your Prius would be to use self-tapping screws, and bolt a ratchet strap-type strap of your desired length from the hatch, to the inner paneling of the floor. When the hatch opens, the strap will be strong enough to limit, and hold the hatch. Another idea would be to buy some kind of rubber bump stop that would hit the roofing of your parking garage, instead of the hatch.

You can install slightly shorter hood struts. You can remove the existing struts which aid in lifting the hatch back -- take them to a parts store and request shorter ones. They make them in several lengths and only take a small screwdriver to replace. A professional mechanic can help you with this.