Q: Ticking noise in engine

asked by on June 24, 2016

I recently bought a 2008 Pontiac Torrent with 10,500 miles on it. It came with a 3.4-liter V6 engine. When the car was running the engine made a ticking noise. I brought it down to the dealer to have them check it. They told me the ticking noise was normal for that engine. Can you tell me if there is a problem? Is the dealer being honest by saying that the ticking noise is normal? Thanks.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. The sound of ticking is not normal in most cases. A technician will have to listen to the ticking sound in person to determine if the noise is normal or not. Oftentimes a ticking sound can occur from low-grade gasoline. I suggest to put a little premium in the gas tank and see if the ticking noise subsides. If this does not resolve the issue, enlist the help from a qualified technician who can diagnose the sound and make the necessary repairs to your vehicle.