Q: Truck goes into limp mode while driving

My truck goes into limp mode after driving for around 15-20 minutes. There is almost no acceleration response and it moves at about 10 mph. The REP light goes out if I turn it off for approx. 5 minutes and then I can go for about 2 miles before the truck shuts down to limp mode again. I then turn it off for 5 minutes and the same scenario happens over and over. All of this happens after I’ve been driving and not at the initial start up. P0068 and P0016 came up. While the REP light was on, I wasn’t able to pull any codes because I was just trying to get the truck home. It idles up/down, surges, and starts sounding like it’s missing, just before shutting down. The check engine light is also on. I’m thinking that this problem is due to something getting hot since it is doing this only when the truck is driven and the engine is hot. Also, some of the instrument cluster gauges are not operable: oil, battery, & engine temperature. What is your assessment and diagnosis of these problems?

A: Hello. The P0068 diagnostic trouble code is...

Hello. The P0068 diagnostic trouble code is an indication that there may be an issue with the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor/mass airflow (MAF) sensor. The P0016 diagnostic trouble code is an indication that there may be an issue with the camshaft position sensor/crankshaft position sensor. When these codes have been stored in the powertrain control module (PCM), some symptoms experienced may include a rough running engine, a misfire, a shut-off condition, and in some cases the vehicle will not start at all. The first step would be to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete a diagnosis in order to pinpoint the root cause of each Check Engine Light code, and make necessary repairs to resolve your problem.