Q: My 98'Saturn won't shift out of 2nd gear. Could it be a shift solenoid for 3rd & 4th?

My 98'Saturn won't shift out of 2nd gear! Could it be that the 3rd & 4th sylanoid is out? If not, what could my problem be not making it shift into higher gear?

Hi there. Are there any lights on; check engine, transmission, etc.? A code retrieval may be helpful if there are any codes stored. Codes/data could lead a qualified technician in the right direction of diagnosis as this could be a shift solenoid, a shift valve, valve body, or even a turbine speed sensor circuit fault. When transmission problems like this arise always check the basics first; fluid level and condition, engine and transmission mounts, battery condition, ground points, and warning lights. A faulty battery may look ok, but a failed cell or low state of health is all it takes to vary the supply of voltage to the solenoids and sensors and create a host of problems. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car does not shift past second gear inspection.

3. My 98'Saturn won't shift out of 2nd gear. Could it be a shift solenoid for 3rd & 4th?