Q: Car cuts out when changing gears from fourth to second

Whilst driving the car engine stops when I slow down changing down gears this is not happening all the time there is plenty of power in the battery, I have recently had a new water pump and fan belt replaced so not sure if this has anything to do with it as it was fine before I had the work done

Hi There, Your water pump and fan belt replacement should not have anything to do with this at all. What you are describing sounds like a faulty transmission control module or speed sensor. A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or erratic shifting of gears. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform it’s function. Other functions controlled by the TCM are components such as a kick down switch, traction control system, and cruise control module. Any of these may also affect the way the transmission control module performs and controls the transmission and the shifting of your vehicle. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your transmission problem.