Q: Valve lifter replacement, can't get TDC. Do I need to get TDC for head removal and lifter switch?

I can't get TDC. Do I absolutely need TDC before pulling the rocker arms and head?

Hi there. Before removing the cylinder head the rocker arms and the push rods need to be removed. When removing the rocker arms, they will need to be loose and not tight. You do not need TDC, but close to it as the rocker arm is to be loose. Then you can remove that rocker arm. You may have to rotate the crankshaft a couple times to get all of the rocker arms to be loose as you remove them when they become loose. Do not remove a rocker arm under pressure or the bolt can strip out in the cylinder head. If you need further assistance with replacing the lifters, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Valve lifter replacement, can't get TDC. Do I need to get TDC for head removal and lifter switch?