Q: Lightning bolt warning on

The dashboard in my van lately has been showing a warning light illuminated. It has a lightning bolt shape. What could be wrong? What should I check?

A: Hello. Thank you for writing in about your ...

Hello. Thank you for writing in about your 2010 Volkswagen Routan. This light is an indication that there is a problem with the electronic throttle control. The electronic throttle control is what controls how much gas the van gets when you step on the gas pedal. When the electronic throttle control is faulty, the engine may stall, there may be a racing idle, or the engine may run rough. Driving under these conditions is dangerous and the light should be diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.