Q: Should I trade in my car or find someone who will buy it as a "junk" car?

asked by on August 11, 2016

My car still runs, barely. You have to crank it up about 10 times (it keeps dying, FRESH OUT OF THE MECHANIC). For this reason, I can't sell it. No regular person wants to buy a car that barely even starts. I want to trade it in, but i'd only get about $580 for it according to KBB (if I even did that right). I am overall frustrated. Next August, ill be going off to college away from home so I need a car that I know is reliable now. Plus I have school and work, and I can't always depend on people to take me to each. I need a new car QUICK. To fix my car, according to the mechanic, would fall into $10,000. The car's value isn't even a quarter of that.

Hi! It wouldn’t be impossible to still try and sell the car. Some people like cars that are a little different from the mainstream. You have one of those cars. I’m thinking you may be able to sell it to a private party (rather than trade it in). You could find someone who likes Saabs, and working on their own cars.

Before you do that you may want to get a second opinion from an experienced technician (one who has some Saab experience). Have them give the car a complete inspection and give you an appraisal of what it needs and how much it would cost to perform the work. That way you can set a more realistic value on it. After this, then you will be in a better position to know whether you want to sell it or have it fixed. Good luck with your Saab, and I hope you find a situation that works out for you!

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr