Car wouldn't go and all of the warning lights came. no st...

Q: Car wouldn't go and all of the warning lights came.

asked by on February 07, 2017

I was driving and went to give car gas and it wouldnt go so I quickly pulled onto a side street and all my warning lights came on in dash and the car just turned off. I went to break and it was hard then as I was coming to a stop the car grinded as I was breaking. After a few minutes I tried to start and it sounded normal like it wanted to turn over but wouldnt. It seemed like my timing belt because that's happened on an old car of mine but I remember it wouldnt even try to start then. This seemed like it wanted to but wouldnt. I read that I may have a interference engine which could bend valves in my engine and that would be extremely bad. I tried to put my vin number in but it says it cannot decode it on your website

Hi there. Either the timing belt came off or the crankshaft position sensor could have failed. Remove the valve cover and crank the engine over. If the engine crank turns and the valve train moves, then the timing belt is hooked up. If the valve train does not move, then the timing belt has broken off. If the timing belt is hooked up, then the crankshaft position sensor could be picking up a false reading or not have power to it. Check the harness to the sensor and see if it has been broken or disconnected. If the wiring is good, then the sensor would need replaced. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.