Q: How does the air bag system work?

How does the air bag system work?

Your car’s air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) is designed to deploy the air bags during certain types of impacts. They will not activate in all accidents, even if they seem like they’re severe enough. Here’s what you need to know about how the system works:

• The car’s computer determines the severity of the impact based on information from the crash sensors.

• The car’s computer determines if the situation warrants deploying an air bag (or which air bags should be deployed).

• Front air bags will not usually inflate in a side impact situation, rear impact accident or a rollover.

• air bags will inflate and deflate very fast – you may not even see them inflate.

• If you see a smoke or dust-like powder in the air after deployment, this is normal.

• If your air bags do not deploy in an accident it does not mean there is something wrong with the system.

3. How does the air bag system work?