Q: Clicking noise after car has been started while idling

When I start my car I get a weird clicking noise from around where the regulator and Alternator is. I know nothing about cars and is very annoying. It goes away once driving but every time I'm in park it starts up again. Its sort of loud. My car is almost at 200,000 miles. If you can help it would be really appreciated thank you. David

Hello, thank you for writing in. The ticking noise may be coming from the alternator itself, or from the drive belt that powers it. When the vehicle is cold it can be loud and need a moment to warm up. If the belt or the pulley are failing, you will need to replace them. You can test the belt for extra play to make sure it is tight. The belt is the most likely cause for the noise, but it may be engine related as well. When the engine oil is cold, it has less lubricating properties. The valves and components inside that depend on the oil may be making the noise until the engine warms up. Further inspection is needed. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.