Q: Radio/Speedometer not working?

My PT cruiser suddenly didn't turn on one day and after a lot of troubleshooting (testing the starter, replacing the battery, and checking the relay) I discovered that it was the ignition switch. So I replaced the ignition actuator switch and my car now turns on, however, the radio only works on accessory and the speedometer does not work at all. What can I do to fix it? Thank you.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. This can be caused by a few things. There is a speed sensor at the transaxle that emits a signal to the computer, however if the car is shifting fine, it may not be the speed sensor at the transaxle. You should have a check engine light on in this case which will provide trouble codes that should indicate what specifically has failed.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.