Q: How to Clean the Inside and Outside of Your Car Windows

How to clean the inside and outside of your car windows

To clean the outside of your car windows, you may need a variety of items, depending on how dirty or stained they are.

If the outside of your windows have water spots (calcium deposits), these can be very difficult to remove. If the water spots have been there for a long time, the calcium etches itself into the glass which makes the glass impossible to clean. The only remedy for that is to replace the windows. You can reduce the effect of calcium staining by using a low-speed buffer with a polishing compound to remove as much of the calcium buildup as possible. Use warm water and a lint-free cloth to wipe the windows down after polishing.

The next step would be to use a non-streaking glass cleaner to remove any and all residue from polishing the window. Again, use lint-free cloths and wipe the windows in a circular pattern.

If you want to keep the windows cleaner in the long run, many people have used a good quality car wax on their windows. This provides a protective barrier between the glass and contaminants in the atmosphere. This also prevents more damaging buildup of dirt and debris; at least for a while. The wax layer will eventually wear off. However, you can repeat this procedure as often as you wish without harm to your windows.

For the inside of your car windows, I would recommend a two-step approach. During normal usage, the materials inside your vehicle outgas, or emit vapors, that gather on the inside of your windshield, car windows, and plastic surfaces. This is a normal consequence of the materials that are used in automobile production. Use a light degreaser to cut through the hazy buildup, then use a non-streaking window cleaner and lint-free cloths to remove any remaining residue.