Q: Car won't start

My son left the key in the car overnight and of course it started draining the battery. In the night, some weird noises awakened him and lights were flashing outside his window - it was the car. He took the key out. Today we charged the battery to full, but the car refuses to start and the key won't turn. What has happened and why won't the key turn?

Try to move the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key. You may have bound up the steering lock when the vehicle was parked. If the key turns okay now, then the vehicle should start. If the steering still will not turn then you may have damaged the steering column or ignition key in some way.

If you have a second key, try it to see if it works. Then close all doors and lock the vehicle, then unlock it with the remote to disable the alarm.

If this still does not work then you may have damaged the antitheft device or module by leaving the key in overnight. The dealer will have the specialized scanner necessary to access the system and reprogram it as needed.

3. Car won't start