Q: My car always stuck in neutral I'm trying to put into drive still showing neutral, putting in R still showing N 2015 Fiat 500

asked by on March 09, 2017

While driving the car getting stuck in neutral going into neutral by itself while driving when parking as well. This is now happening all the time at all times we took the car to the dealer as well. And they said the car needs software update and gearbox learn which they did but still having same problems.

Hi there - your Fiat "automatic" transmission is actually a 6-speed, dual-clutch manual transmission, with some rather sophisticated electronics and actuators attached to it. These boxes are notoriously complicated, with incredible complexity in the transmission controllers themselves. Your controller is having a problem deciding what gear it’s really in, and not selecting anything (as you have experienced). There are actually 2 Fiat Recalls (#16V302000 and 15V291000) on the gearbox. I would take your car back to your servicing dealer, and have them resolve this. They have the tooling and software update capabilities to resolve these kinds of issues. Good luck!