Q: Drained the wrong fluid

asked by on February 19, 2016

I accidentally drained transmission fluid instead of the oil while attempting to change the oil.

Hello! Believe it or not, that has been done several times before on Subarus. The transmission drain looks very similar to the oil drain, so they can easily be mistaken for one another. Usually, the transmission will just have to be properly filled with new fluid, and all will be fine. It is not recommended to drive a vehicle with low transmission fluid, because fatal damage to the transmission will occur. You may benefit from a mobile automotive service, such as YourMechanic, who can send a certified technician out to you for transmission fluid service.