Q: Car overheats while not moving or moving very slow.

asked by on November 04, 2016

I just did an oil change n they check that all my fluids are fine but they did not reset it it keep saying is 22% life of oil and while I was at a fast food restaurant waiting in line for my food the truck staring overheating as soon as I stared drinking the temperature of the engine stabilize n was back to normal it only does it if I'm standing n not moving that much

Car is running hotter than normal Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. A temporary "hotter than normal" behavior like your are describing is likely to be a failed radiator fan switch. The switch (and fan) should power up when the engine temperature is hotter than normal - such as low air-flow scenarios like a drive-thru. When the car starts moving again, there is enough air flow to cool the engine without the fan, and the temperature returns to normal.

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is running hotter than normal and suggest any needed repairs.