Q: 2008 Saturn Astra independently shuts off and loses all power

Even during the peak time of traffic on the interstate, several times my car has independently shut off. For some reason, my vehicle isn’t on the Saturn ignition switch recall list and I think it should be. This happening, even one time, is very dangerous and my car has done this ‘six’ times. Fortunately there hasn’t been an accident and I pray that there won’t be. I never know when this might happen. It is a random occurrence. When my car shuts off like this, it loses all power. Do you think this is from the ignition switch or could it be from something else?

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 2008 Saturn Astra. The ignition switch is a likely cause, as a fault here will cut power to the vehicle as if you have turned off the ignition and pulled out the key. Have the battery, battery connection, and charging systems inspected as well, as these are also common failure items that show similar symptoms. You may want to raise the issue further with the Saturn national customer service center. If you would rather go elsewhere than Saturn, consider having an independent technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue and make any repairs necessary.

3. 2008 Saturn Astra independently shuts off and loses all power